Legacy & Donations
CRANN LEGACY PROPOSAL
Help us care for Ireland’s forests, woods, trees and hedgerows by remembering CRANN in your will
Ireland was once covered in broadleaved trees. Most of our native woodland was destroyed over the centuries and along with it the rich ecosystems it supported. CRANN promote the sustainable use of Irish grown hardwoods, develop public awareness of the value of our woodlands and encourage the art and crafts associated with our native grown timber. We cannot continue these tasks and our work of education and promotion without your help. No matter how small your legacy or bequest is, CRANN will put it to good use towards safeguarding our woodland and hedgerow resource for the future.
A legacy or bequest to CRANN is a gift of trees for future generations to value and enjoy.
If you wish to remember CRANN in your will your solicitor will need to know the following details
People for Trees, trading as CRANN
Registered Charity no. CHY 13698
For further details contact the CRANN administrator at 01 627 5075
MAKE A DONATION – NATURE OF RELIEF
The arrangements for allowing tax relief on donations will depend on whether the donor is a PAYE taxpayer or an individual on self-assessment or a company.
• For a PAYE – Only taxpayer, the relief will be given on a “grossed-up” basis to the eligible charity or approved body, as the case may be, rather than by way of a separate claim to tax relief by the donor. In other words the donation will be treated as having been received by CRANN’net’ of income tax.
• In the case of a donation made by an individual who pays tax on a self-assessment basis, the individual will claim the relief and there is no grossing up arrangement. Similarly, in the case of a donation made by an individual who pays portion of his / her tax under the self-assessment system but also pays tax under the PAYE tax system, the individual will claim the relief and there is no grossing up arrangement.
• In the case of corporate donations, the company will claim a deduction for the donation as if it were a trading expense; again there is no grossing up arrangement in this case.
PAYE- Only Individual
• Individual on the standard rate of tax i.e. 20%
Individual donates €500
Value of donation CRANN = €625
(i.e. €500 x 100 / 80 )
Tax associated with the donation (€625 -€500) = €125
CRANN will therefore be able to claim a repayment of €125 from Revenue at the end of the tax year.
• Individual on the higher rate of tax i.e. 42%
Individual donates €500
Value of donation to CRANN = €862
(i.e. €500 x 100 / 58 )
Tax associated with the donation (€862 – €500) = €362
CRANN will therefore be able to claim a repayment of €362 from Revenue at the end of the tax year.
(Note: Where sufficient tax has not been paid to cover the donation made, the refund of tax will be limited to the amount of tax actually paid by the donor).
The individual PAYE – Only donor must complete an “Appropriate Certificate” – see Appendix 2 – and forward it to Crann, to allow it to claim the grossed up amount of tax associated with the donation.
Individual on the standard rate i.e. 20%
Individual donates €500 and receives tax relief @ 20% (€100). Cost to the taxpayer is €400 and receipt by Crann is €500 – the self-assessed individual will simply claim a deduction for the donation on his/ her tax return, there is no grossing up arrangement and therefore no repayment claim by Crann arises.
Individual on the higher rate i.e. 42%
Individual donates €500 and receives tax relief @ 42% (€210). Cost to the taxpayer is €290 and receipt by CRANN is €500 – again there is no grossing up arrangement and therefore no repayment claim by CRANN arises.
Company X donates €1,000 to CRANN. Assuming a corporation tax rate of 12.½%, relief to the company is €125 i.e. €1,000 @ 12.½%. While CRANN has the benefit of €1,000, the cost to the company of making the donation is only €875 (€1,000 – €125). The company will simply claim a deduction for the donation as if it were a trading expense, there is no grossing up arrangement and therefore no repayment claim by CRANN arises.
You can obtain further information on the donation scheme from:
Office of the Revenue Commissioners,
Phone: (067) 63400 Ext. 63302/63304
Lo call 1890 666333 Ext. 63300/2/3/4